Graduate Development Program
Finance offers a Graduate Development Program designed to utilise your existing skills and build new capabilities. The Program will equip you with the knowledge you need to become a high quality Finance employee; and to establish a strong foundation to build your career within the APS.
The Program is comprised of training (core and customised), networking and support.
Core skills training covers topics that are relevant to all staff, regardless of their job role and will assist you to understand Finance and general APS functions. You will also have the opportunity to develop a customised training program with your supervisor, tailored to your individual needs, and specifically for your role.
We understand that for some of you this may be your first full time job, so there are plenty of learning and development opportunities to support you through the transition.
The Program also includes buddy and mentor programs, networking sessions with the other central agencies, and key events such as meeting senior executive staff within the department, as well as the portfolio ministers.
Finance values all types of learning, including on-the-job, mentoring, coaching and peer learning, and classroom-based learning. The Program will ensure there is a balance between these elements.
|Did you know? During the caretaker period in 2010, Finance costed 387 government and opposition election commitments.|
Once you finish your Graduate Development Program, you will have access to a wide variety of learning and development opportunities that are available to all staff. These include professional skills training, leadership training, study assistance, presentations by high profile external guest speakers, Learning Seminars run by internal subject matter experts, career coaching, and mentoring.
At Finance we want to give you as much support as we can to help you settle in.
Some of the networks we provide are:
- Buddies – before you commence in January, we will pair you up with a current Graduate. Your buddy can help answer any questions about starting work and show you around when you arrive.
- The HR Services team – we will assist you with your relocation to Canberra as necessary and support and guide you throughout the year.
- Learning and Development Liaison Officer – each Business Group has a Learning and Development Liaison Officer as a central point of contact and support for Graduates.
- Your team – some teams in Finance are small while others can be quite large. Within your team you will have a supervisor who can support you in your day-to-day work.
- Mentor – you’ll team up with someone more senior within the department who can guide you with your learning, development and career progression at Finance.
CPA (Certified Practicing Accountant) Recognition
Finance is accredited as a CPA Australia Recognised Employer to the Knowledge Level, the highest level. Finance was the first public sector employer in the ACT to gain this accreditation. This provides our finance and accounting staff with access to valuable resources and guidance. It also demonstrates Finance’s commitment to the learning and development of our staff.CPA participants also benefit by having a simple alternative method to demonstrate adherence to the CPA program’s practical experience requirement and to demonstrate adherence to minimum continuing professional development standards. These are both mandatory components of the award.
Contact for information on this page: Recruitment Programs