Chief Operating Officer Group
Chief Operating Officer
The Chief Operating Officer Group works with the Secretary, Executive Board and other business groups within the Department to enhance, promote and sustain Finance's role as a trusted and professional adviser to the Government.
The Group also provides current parliamentarians and their staff (approximately 1,700), and former Senators and Members, with a range of facilities and services.
Deputy Secretary: Jenet Connell
Phone: (02) 6215 2849
M&PS provides Ministers, Senators, Members and Office-holders and former Parliamentarians and their respective staff employed under the Members of Parliament (Staff) Act 1984 with a range of facilities and services to assist them in undertaking their duties. These services include: access to, and payment of, entitlements; advice and support to Parliamentarians on a range of entitlements issues; the provision of electorate office facilities; travel and accommodation entitlement support; personnel-related services; COMCAR and VIP hire car services; the management of the Ministerial Wing of Parliament House; and secretariat support to the Australian Political Exchange Council.
First Assistant Secretary: Kim Clarke
Phone: (02) 6215 3401
Assistant Secretary: Suzanne Pitson
Phone: (02) 6215 3836
Entitlements Policy Branch is responsible for policy development and advice in relation to Senators and Members' entitlements, and the employment framework for their staff.
The Branch provides advice to the Special Minister of State and other stakeholders in Ministerial and Parliamentary Services on policy matters relating to the various pieces of legislation administered by the Department. It also liaises with the Remuneration Tribunal Secretariat in the Department of Education, Employment and Workplace Relations in relation to the development of, and changes to, determinations affecting the entitlements of Senators and Members.
There are approximately 1700 staff of Senators and Members throughout Australia and the Branch is responsible for developing and delivering their employment framework, in consultation with other relevant agencies and the staff themselves. In addition, the Branch organises the Special Minister of State's professional development program and other HR services for this workforce.
The Branch works closely with all other areas of Ministerial and Parliamentary Services in developing and advising on policy matters.
Assistant Secretary: Greg Miles
Phone: (02) 6215 3403
The Entitlements Management Branch provides the communication link between M&PS and its clients. Our clients include current and former Federal Parliamentarians and their staff.
Entitlements Management Branch's key responsibilities include:
- providing advice to our portfolio Ministers regarding Senators and Members' access to entitlements – particularly the Special Minister of State;
- advising Senators, Members and their staff on entitlement issues; providing staff help-desk services for the staff of Members of Parliament;
- managing the provision of services in the Ministerial Wing of Parliament House and the Commonwealth Parliament Offices in state/territory capital cities; and
- providing secretariat support for the Australian Political Exchange Council, which provides an international exchange program for young political leaders.
Andrew House (VIC, TAS & NT) Ph: (02) 6215 3640
Lauren Barons (NSW, WA & ACT) Ph: (02) 6215 3426
Deb Lewis (QLD & SA) Ph: (02) 6215 3827
Staff Help Desk Ph: (02) 6215 3333
Entitlements Management Unit Help Desk Ph: (02) 6215 3542
Australian Political Exchange Council Secretariat Ph: (02) 6215 3248
Assistant Secretary: Kim Baker
Phone: (02) 6215 1372
Client Services provides a range of claims processing and reporting services to Senators, Members, their staff and former Parliamentarians. Client Services also administers the salary, employment conditions and travel payments to staff employed under the Members of Parliament (Staff) Act 1984.
Client Services Branch also negotiates and manages significant contracts for the supply of goods and services to Senators, Members, their staff and former Parliamentarians.
Accountability and Reporting
Assistant Secretary: Cheryl-anne Moy
Phone: (02) 6215 3711
Accountability and Reporting Branch performs a number of functions associated with the control framework for the administration of Parliamentarians' entitlements including the management of an enhanced audit and checking function, management of M&PS web content and management of the printing and communications entitlement checking function.
The Branch also promotes transparency and accountability through providing accurate and timely reporting on Parliamentary entitlements, including the six monthly Parliamentary entitlements expenditure reports and Members of Parliament (Staff) Act 1984 annual reports, which are published on the Finance website.
Assistant secretary: Jason Ford (Acting)
Phone: (02) 6280 1001
COMCAR assists in delivering an efficiently functioning Parliament through the provision of high quality car-with-driver services to a broad range of entitled clients, including the Governor-General, the Prime Minister, other Office Holders, Members of the Judiciary and Senators and Members.
Another of COMCAR's key activities is the provision of transport and associated services to visiting Guests of Government such as Royalty, Heads of State and other foreign dignitaries. COMCAR has assisted clients with transport requirements at special events such as the Sydney Olympics, the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting (CHOGM) and Ministerial forums.
COMCAR can provide, or arrange, services in all metropolitan and most country areas. Reservations for COMCAR services can be made by calling 13 18 47 (24 hours a day, 7 days a week). Alternatively, reservations can be made via facsimile to 1800 807 921 using a standard form available from COMCAR.
Customer Service Charter
The COMCAR Customer Service Charter was launched on 26 June 2003. A copy of the Charter was sent to all COMCAR clients and is also available in every vehicle in the COMCAR fleet.
The development of the Service Charter was an important step in enhancing the quality of the existing service provided to all clients. The Service Charter allows COMCAR to clearly define expectation and service levels – against which clients can provide meaningful feedback.
Client Liaison Manager
02 6280 1014
Reservations (by phone)
13 18 47
Reservations (by fax)
1800 807 921
Chief Financial Officer Division
First Assistant Secretary: Michael Burton
Phone: (02) 6215 2619
Chief Financial Officer Division provides cost effective, timely and reliable delivery of financial and business services, through innovative, practical, and responsible solutions, that drive improved organisational performance.
Financial Services Branch
Assistant Secretary: Andrew Harvey
Phone: (02) 6215 2619
Financial Services Branch (FSB) contributes towards the outcomes of the Department by providing reliable and timely financial information that supports decision making and seeks to drive improved organisational performance. The key products and services of FSB are as follows:
- Reporting, covering: monthly management and financial reporting, financial statements, general ledger management and accounting policy.
- Budgets, covering: capital planning, external and internal budgeting, review of new initiatives, major reforms, business planning and small agency monitoring.
- Procurement Advice and Financial Policy, covering: advice and clearance of procurement processes as well as CEI/FMA policy matters.
- Group Financial Advice, covering: preparation of Group budgets and costings, Certificate of Compliance, advice to Business Groups on financial performance, accounting journals and the development of ad hoc and tailored Business Group specific reports.
Financial Operations Branch
Assistant Secretary: Alison Frewin
Phone: (02) 6215 2619
Financial Operations Branch contributes towards the outcomes of the Department by ensuring reliable and accurate financial information is recorded in our financial systems through robust processes encompassing:
- Financial Operations, covering: accounts processing, payroll, cash flow and appropriation management, banking, expenses, petty cash, credit cards, taxation, asset management and journals.
- Systems Administration, covering: management of the Department’s financial management system, SAP and other supporting systems such as the iCMS expense management system.
Business Services Branch
Assistant Secretary: Daryl Wight
Phone: (02) 6215 2619
The Business Services Branch manages the provision of a number of services required for the successful functioning of the Department. These services are either delivered in-house or through contractual arrangements with outsourced suppliers and include:
- office services;
- records management;
- property and accommodation; and
- departmental physical and personnel security arrangements.
Chief Information Officer Division
First Assistant Secretary: Roze Frost
Phone: (02) 6215 3456
The Chief Information Officer Division is responsible for the efficient and effective deployment of information and communication technology and services to support the Department achieving its outcomes.
Office of the CIO
Office of the CIO is responsible for the business management support and operations of CIOD and management oversight of key projects.
- CBMSR Program
Assistant Secretary: Tim Brunton
Phone: 6215 3456
- Business Management
Director: Greg Potter
Phone: 6215 3456
- IT Transition Project
Project Manager: Peter White
Phone: 6215 3456
Service Delivery Branch
Assistant Secretary: Tim Brunton (Acting)
Phone: 6215 3456
Service Delivery Branch is responsible for the delivery of the current IT Services through the provision of a stable and secure IT environment and the development, delivery and ongoing management of Finance’s IT infrastructure and applications. The areas of service are:
- Providing an IT service desk and onsite support, incident management and managing changes to Finance’s ICT infrastructure;
- Delivering network server support, data and storage management and management of the Standard Operating Environment (SOE) and responsibility for the maintenance and management of Finance’s ICT infrastructure;
- Enabling business objectives by protecting Finance IT infrastructure from threats and risks, through the provision of ICT security risk assessment and policy; advice in relation to ICT security; and monitoring of ICT system use.;
- Developing and implementing new business systems through the provision of services including, design, build, testing and database administration;
- Maintaining and supporting the Department's existing business systems;
- Providing a single point of contact for all key Finance systems, including CBMS for support matters, including user access, incident management, and usage assistance; and
- Providing communications and training for CBMS and subject matter expertise and support to the CBMS user community.
Professional Services Branch
Assistant Secretary: Gary Davis
Phone: 02 6215 1565
Professional Services Branch is responsible for the provision of high quality and cost effective professional services to Finance through:
- Developing and maintaining relationships with CIOD’s clients and managing an effective and efficient process for new services required by the business through CIOD;
- Ensuring business requirements are translated into technical specifications and the right business solution is delivered;
- Providing leading practice program and project management services;
- Ensuring the appropriate Enterprise Architecture is in place to support Finance’s ongoing and changing business requirements, including the development and implementation of a Finance Information Management strategy;
- Providing leading practice quality assurance and testing support;
- Providing support to the Finance IT Governance Committee and other IT project governance;
- Developing and maintaining IT policies and methodologies; and
- Providing the appropriate level of IT Continuity to support the department’s business continuity requirements.
Corporate Services Division
First Assistant Secretary: Carl Murphy
Phone: (02) 6215 1454
Portfolio Coordination and Communications Branch
Assistant Secretary: Kayelle Drinkwater
Phone: (02) 6215 2150
The Portfolio Coordination and Communications Branch contributes to the achievement of the Department's outcomes by providing a general coordination, liaison and advisory function across the Department and the Portfolio on issues. The Branch also is responsible for initiatives designed to build the capability of the organisation by improving access to departmental information online, including:
- legislation bids
- Cabinet scheduling
- general ministerial support
- communications and marketing
- management and development of Finance's intranet and internet sites
- preparation of portfolio budget bids
- media and issues management
- Senate Estimates coordination
In supporting our Ministers, the Branch also provides a central coordinating and policy role for Finance and other agencies in the Portfolio.
Assistant Secretary: Stephen Taylor
Phone: (02) 6215 3082
The Legal Services Branch reports directly to the General Manager and provides the Department of Finance and Deregulation with in-house legal advice and assistance including on:
- commercial and public law matters,
- assistance in the management of litigation,
- drafting commercial and other instruments; and
- co-ordination of FOI and Finance Legislative Instruments.
Also, in consultation with their Business Group clients, they arrange for legal advice and assistance to be provided by Finance's panel of external legal service providers (the Legal Panel).
Assistant Secretary: Helen Kidston
Phone: (02) 6215 2750
Phone (02) 6215 3937
The Human Resources (HR) Services Branch delivers a range of human resource services to the department including:
- recruitment & payroll services
- advice and support on employee relations and conditions
- occupational health and safety services
- assisting the department to imbed its strategic goals through workforce planning, staff surveys and targeted recruitment programs (including the Graduate program)
- advice and support on HR policy and programs
- management and provision of learning and development opportunities
For more information, feel free to contact the friendly staff at the HR Shopfront
Contact for information on this page: Finance Web Manager at: email@example.com